Summer and ice cream go hand in hand and if you are looking for a delicious (and educational) activity to do with your kids for Pinterest Mom Summer than this is it. My girls love making ice cream in a bag. Use the recipe below and make it your own by adding your own ingredients!
If you are looking to make this the best summer yet but overwhelmed with the idea of having your kids home all day, you need the Pinterest Mom Summer bundle pack. It includes a 30 day calendar of activity ideas, recipes for tasty summer treats, printables, and more!
For the ice cream, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the process, you’ll need:
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 cups ice
- 1-quart zip-top bag
- 1-gallon zip-top bag
How to Make Ice Cream In a Bag
- In a bowl mix the milk, heavy cream, sugar, salt, vanilla and stir so everything is mixed well.
- Once everything is mixed well, pour all of the ingredients into a gallon sized bag and seal the bag, be sure to squeeze out the air and that it is fully closed.
- In another gallon sized bag put 3 cups of ice and 1 cup of ice cream salt.
- Place bag of ice cream mixture into bag of salt and ice and seal shut.
- Start shaking that bag. As you shake it you will feel and see the ice cream beginning to form. Keep shaking until the ice cream has fully formed. This usually takes 7-10 minutes.
- Once the homemade ice cream is is solid remove the bag of ice cream and rinse off with water.
- Scoop the ice cream and serve or store in the freezer.
Why it Works
I just had to share the science behind it so this not only becomes a declines summer activity but an educational one too!
The salt added to the ice lowers the melting point of the ice. This works just like it does when people add salt to roads in the winter. Basically, the salt makes the ice melt faster.
The ice doesn’t just loose cold though. It has to absorb more heat energy from around it. So in this case, it is absorbing heat from the ice cream mix and lowering its temperature allowing it to freeze faster.
Pretty cool, right?
Who knew learning could be so tasty?!?
@mrsblinksThis ice cream is better than store bought ##pinterestmomsummer ##pinterestmomtiktok ##learnontiktok ##tiktokpartner ##summeractivities